The abandoned Fish Factory – Little Egg Harbor, NJ
The fish factory processed Bunker. It was very active in the 1970’s. At some point after that, it ceased operations.
The Fish Factory is located on an island across Newman’s Thorofare from the old Little Egg Coast Guard Station , now Rutgers. It’s water tower was a great landmark for boaters in the days before GPS and even Loran.
The waters between the old Coast Guard Station and the Fish Factory was a good spot for fishing for kingfish and bluefish. When it was operational, there would be fishing boats at the docks offloading their hauls of bunker, an oily fish used for bait. There was a small landing strip where planes were based to scout for the schools of bunker.
After it ceased operations and was abandoned, it began to slowly decay. The photo below was from about 2005. The place has suffered a lot more deterioration.
- Rutgers University Marine Field Station – Formerly USCG Station Little Egg.
- South end of the island Jul 2016
- Old Coast Guard Station, Barnegat Light, NJ
- The Coast Guard is searching for a vessel in distress – 40 miles off Barnegat Light
- Old Lifesaving Station, Harvey Cedars, NJ. Now the Long Beach Island Fishing Club