The Rip Tide, formerly The Antlers
The Rip Tide was a bar on Dock Road. It was next to the Acme Bar. Herb Fieler, a noted organist played there as well as at other venues on the island.
The building started as a gunning club, The Antlers. During Prohibition it was a Speakeasy. Around the mid 1950’s the bar was converted to a country western venue. In 1956 it was purchased by Herb Fieler, the organist. He named it The Rip Tide.
In 1973 the liquor license was purchased by the Mashcall Family. The Mascall family were founders of Bay Village. The liquor license was then used at The Tide which was located where the Surf City Brewery is now located in Bay Village. The Tide was one of the trendier nightspots with more of a disco flavor.
The Rip Tide / Antlers building was demolished in late 2008. It doesn’t look like much in this photo but at one time it was a popular nightspot.
See a 1963 ad for the Rip Tide from a free map.