A look at Long Beach Island, NJ
The Parry House was one of the earlier hotels on Long Beach Island. Bonds Long Beach House preceded it. It was a 200 bed hotel.
The Engleside Hotel was founded by Robert Engle, the former manager of the Parry House. This is an engraving of the hotel as it appeared in the 1800’s
Mr. Tee’s has two locations. The 18 hole mini golf remains at 18th Street in North Beach Haven. There is also and arcade and mini golf in Beach Haven just south of Murphy’s Market. Players can play 18 or 36 holes at the Beach Haven location.
Mr. Tee’s Arcade on 18th Street in North Beach Haven never reopened after Hurricane Sandy.
The Crystal Queen was a Paddle Boat that offered excursions to Atlantic City. She operated out of the Black Whale docks in Beach Haven. Service stopped some time after 2010.
There is a solitary house on a small private island off Center Street in Beach Haven.
The LBI Trailer Park was a fixture on Long Beach Island for Decades. It was located in the Holgate/Inlet section and provided some of the most affordable housing on the island. Unfortunately the owners decided to not rebuild after Hurricane Sandy.
We took a sail on New Jersey’s Tall Ship, the A.J. Meerwald in July 2019 from Beach Haven, NJ.
There is a plaque just outside of Viking Village in Barnegat Light memorializing a Massacre of Patriots by British Loyalists during the War for Independence.
Bonds’ Lifesaving Station in Holgate is now a private residence. It was one of six stations on Long Beach Island.
The USS Monssen was being towed while the March 1962 Nor’easter ravaged Long Beach Island. She broke loose from her tow and ended up hard aground in Holgate.