A look at Long Beach Island, NJ
The Parry House was one of the earlier hotels on Long Beach Island. Bonds Long Beach House preceded it. It was a 200 bed hotel.
The Engleside Hotel was founded by Robert Engle, the former manager of the Parry House. This is an engraving of the hotel as it appeared in the 1800’s
Mr. Tee’s has two locations. The 18 hole mini golf remains at 18th Street in North Beach Haven. There is also and arcade and mini golf in Beach Haven just south of Murphy’s Market. Players can play 18 or 36 holes at the Beach Haven location.
Mr. Tee’s Arcade on 18th Street in North Beach Haven never reopened after Hurricane Sandy.
The Crystal Queen was a Paddle Boat that offered excursions to Atlantic City. She operated out of the Black Whale docks in Beach Haven. Service stopped some time after 2010.
The LBI Trailer Park was a fixture on Long Beach Island for Decades. It was located in the Holgate/Inlet section and provided some of the most affordable housing on the island. Unfortunately the owners decided to not rebuild after Hurricane Sandy.
An old wooden inboard runabout in the bay just off of the Shapiro Mansion
Views of the Schooner Lucy Evelyn that was beached in Beach Haven as a gift shop.
Noller’s is currently Fred’s Beach Haven Diner. The interior, especially the diner part, retains the 1960’s retro feel.
The Lucy Evelyn was a three masted schooner built in 1917 in Harrington Maine and homeported in Machias Maine. She served for a number of years including the packet trade to South America. At one point in World War II, she was shelled by a German U-Boat.
Photos of the schooner, Lucy Evelyn, right after she was beached in Beach Haven and converted to a gift shop.