Gone but not forgotten
Gone but not forgotten: The history of LBI includes landmarks that have disappeared. The Lucy Evelyn was a schooner that was beached as a store in Beach Haven. She burned in the 1970’s. The Hotel Baldwin was a grand hotel in Beach Haven. The Baldwin also fell to fire. The Engleside and Parry House were large Victorian Hotels that are now gone. In an earlier time, Bond’s guest house was a favorite of visitors. In Barnegat Light The Sunset Hotel and the Oceanic Hotel were in their glory.
A railroad ran from Tuckerton south to Beach Haven and North to Barnegat Light.
In recent times, businesses and landmarks have come and gone.
A railroad once ran to Long Beach Island. Once on the island, the tracks split. One line went north to Barnegat Light and the other went south to Third Street in Beach Haven. You may have wondered about the extra lanes on the boulevard. These were where sidings were for the railroad. When the automobile bridge was opened, the new boulevard followed the railroad. It had to go around the sidings. Today they are simply a place for extra parking.Continue reading
Tucker’s Island was a small community on an island/peninsula just south of Holgate. The island had been inhabited since the late 1700’s. In the 1800’s Rueben Tucker purchased the island and built a home and small tavern. The community grew. Eventually it was about half the size of Beach Haven.Continue reading
The Silver Sun Mall is located at 3rd Street and the Boulevard in Beach Haven. It houses a variety of small stores selling beach goods, art and clothing. Prior to it’s current incarnation as a mall, the Silver Sun was home to Koseff’s,Continue reading
The Colonial Theater served Beach Haven from the 1920’s to around 2000.
For a while, the Saint Francis Catholic Church would hold Sunday Masses there as it was air conditioned and had more seating than the original church. The theater was one of three on the the island. The Colony Theater in Brant Beach is long gone. There was another next to the Acme Grocery Store. The nearest movie theater is the Regal Cinema in Manahawkin near the Garden State Parkway.Continue reading
The Parry House was one of the earlier hotels on Long Beach Island. Bonds Long Beach House preceded it. It was a 200 bed hotel.Continue reading
For a number of years, the retired Coast Guard Cutter 44355 was on display at the Bayview Park. Bayview Park is located across from the Long Beach Township Municipal Buildings on Long Beach Boulevard.Continue reading
The Lucy Evelyn was a three masted schooner built in 1917 in Harrington Maine and homeported in Machias Maine. She served for a number of years including the packet trade to South America. At one point in World War II, she was shelled by a German U-Boat.Continue reading
Morrison’s Restaurant was a classic LBI restaurant. It had been serving great seafood since the 1940’s. It’s position adjacent to the intercoastal waterway and large windows provided a parade of boats for diners. The volume of boats dropped off significantly as time progressed. In the earlier days, you would see a continuous procession of everything from well worn garveys to expensive sport fishermen while you enjoyed great seafood.Continue reading
Unfortunately, this photo does not do the M&M Steam bar justice. It sold raw and cooked seafood. As I recall, the M&M ended operations after Hurricane Sandy.Continue reading