Landmarks on Long Beach Island: LBI has a number of significant landmarks. The Barnegat Lighthouse is one of the most prominent. In addition, there are lifesaving stations that have been converted to private residences or fishing clubs.
Unfortunately only one of the grand hotels remains. The Harvey Cedars Bible Conference is housed in what was the Harvey Cedars Hotel.
Bonds’ Lifesaving Station in Holgate is now a private residence. Continue reading
The Long Beach Island Fishing Club occupies the old Harvey Cedars Lifesaving Station.
The old Coast Guard Station in Barnegat Light has been acquired by the Borough of Barnegat Light and is now the Borough Hall.
Tucker’s Island was a small community on an island/peninsula just south of Holgate. The island had been inhabited since the late 1700’s. In the 1800’s Rueben Tucker purchased the island and built a home and small tavern. The community grew. Eventually it was about half the size of Beach Haven.
The Rutgers University Marine Field Station is housed in the former United States Coast Guard Station Little Egg.
The fish factory processed Bunker. It was very active in the 1970’s. At some point after that, it ceased operations.
The Harvey Cedars Bible Conference was formerly the Harvey Cedars Hotel.
The Lucy Evelyn was a three masted schooner built in 1917 in Machias Maine. She served for a number of years including the packet trade to South America. At one point in World War II, she was shelled by a German U-Boat. Continue reading