Long Beach Island has a long and fascinating history. The island was used by Native Americans as a hunting and fishing spot. There are rumors of visits by Viking longboats and pirates. During the Victorian era, Beach Haven and Barnegat Light grew quickly. A railroad replaced steam and sailboats as the means to bring visitors to the island.
A railroad once ran to Long Beach Island. Once on the island, the tracks split. One line went north to Barnegat Light and the other went south to Third Street in Beach Haven. You may have wondered about the extra lanes on the boulevard. These were where sidings were for the railroad. When the automobile bridge was opened, the new boulevard followed the railroad. It had to go around the sidings. Today they are simply a place for extra parking.
Bonds’ Lifesaving Station in Holgate is now a private residence. Continue reading
The Long Beach Island Fishing Club occupies the old Harvey Cedars Lifesaving Station.
The old Coast Guard Station in Barnegat Light has been acquired by the Borough of Barnegat Light and is now the Borough Hall.
Tucker’s Island was a small community on an island/peninsula just south of Holgate. The island had been inhabited since the late 1700’s. In the 1800’s Rueben Tucker purchased the island and built a home and small tavern. The community grew. Eventually it was about half the size of Beach Haven.
The Silver Sun Mall is located at 3rd Street and the Boulevard in Beach Haven. It houses a variety of small stores selling beach goods, art and clothing. Prior to it’s current incarnation as a mall, the Silver Sun was home to Koseff’s,
The Rutgers University Marine Field Station is housed in the former United States Coast Guard Station Little Egg.
The fish factory processed Bunker. It was very active in the 1970’s. At some point after that, it ceased operations.
The Harvey Cedars Bible Conference was formerly the Harvey Cedars Hotel.
The Colonial Theater served Beach Haven from the 1920’s to around 2000.