The Engleside Hotel, Late 1800’s, Beach Haven, New Jersey
The Engleside Hotel was founded by Robert Engle, the former manager of the Parry House. This is an engraving of the hotel as it appeared in the 1800’s
Much of the history of the hotel available today is due to John Bailey Lloyd, a local historian and the author of several books about Long Beach Island. The Hotel was opened in 1876 and survived until it was broken up in the 1940’s. The engraving above does not show the distinctive turret that faced the Atlantic Ocean.
The Classic Seashore Hotels were a popular destination in the late 1800’s.There is a modern motel today that bears the Engleside name. The Harvey Cedars Hotel was another grand hotel of the period and still exists as a Bible College.
Photo courtesy of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Central Library
One Response to The Engleside Hotel, Late 1800’s, Beach Haven, New Jersey
Leave a Reply